Friday, April 13, 2012

art lab for kids (review)

art lab for kids
I ordered this book with the hope that it would arrive in time for some spring break art. My son is away on his big 8th grade trip, and I knew there would be lots of time to spend with my littlest artist. I have a million books about art, craft and creativity with children... some date as far back as my teaching days and a few are essentially "antiques" from the nursery school I was born into- my grandmother's. Did I really need another? Well, we've just scratched the surface of the 52 art lessons included, and I'm feeling like it was a worthwhile purchase. I have two of  Quarry's other Art Lab books (for adults), and I always enjoy how each lesson "shares and relates to the work of a contemporary artist and their own unique style." I also appreciate how each project is presented:  the layout and organization is very inviting. I am thinking that this approach works even better as a children's book. We loved going through the pages together and bookmarking our favorites. Right away we decided to try scribble drawings.
scribble drawings
After letting a pencil glide around in a circular motion... aimlessly on paper. Each artist looks for images to appear in the "scribbles". It's likened to searching for pictures in clouds. Once a rainbow, monkey, or penguin (who knows what you might find) are discovered, it's highlighted and colored in. This was a such a wonderful exercise in loosening up and seeing with new eyes. We both had a great time!
scribble drawings
assorted "scribble drawings"
penguin
Next up were dream animals...
dream animals
dream animas
Art Lab for Kids would make a wonderful addition to any home or classroom with elementary age children and up. Many of the projects lend themselves to teenagers, as well... which means it's a perfect book for families with mixed aged kids looking for a book to bridge the years! It's divided into drawing, painting, paper, collage and mixed media and I can't wait to dive in more deeply. The printmaking chapter might be first!
printmaking
Susan Schwake's Art Lab for Kids definitely gets my thumbs up!
painting Pin It

14 comments:

  1. This does look like a great addition to our art library. I too have many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really read through our copy this morning (& might also post a quick review, I'm not sure). THIS is the book I was looking for nearly two years ago!!

    And yes, I have an "adult" lab book too, although I've done activities from there with my kids, too. I like what I've seen of the series so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just spend a very good time surfing on your blog, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...I too have this wonderful book and us it all the time with the kids in my Art and Craft school. Thanks for pointing out to me the adult version. Do you have the ISP number, as my bookseller has no record of itx thanks. Love see your children's Art...wonderful pieces. Lyndax

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting it when Alan is a bit older, he's only 2 now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the review. There can never bee too many resources and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks great!! Could you do a post about your favorite art books? That might be interesting. Even if it's a art book for kids or adults..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book! I just bught it for my mom for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so happy to hear your recommendation for the book. after i saw your pic on instagram, i went to amazon and looked it up, and put it right into my cart!
    love seeing the pics of the artwork going on in your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like fun. I have the one for adults, and my 4 year old loves looking at it and trying some things. I didn't know they had one for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your post and went out to buy it that night. The projects look like fun and it will be put to good use over summer break.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think next stop bookshop to order one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the idea of the scribble drawings and will definitely be trying it out with all 4 of my children as it comes across as something that a child of any age would enjoy...projects like that are certainly hard to find! :)

    ReplyDelete